January 27, 2010

"Oscars of Remodeling"

I got a call from Steve B a couple weeks ago inviting Josh and I to attend the CotY Awards as guests of SAI. 'CotY' stands for Contractor of the Year, and they are awarded annually in several categories -- and regions -- by the National Association of the Remodeling Industry. SAI entered our house in two categories -- whole-house remodel and green remodel -- and was notified in October that they were finalists in both categories for the DC region.

The awards will be presented this Saturday, so I had emailed the Steves to see if we'd be able to attend. I was picturing a bunch of chairs and a podium set up in a hotel ballroom, and maybe a cocktail reception -- a relatively low-key affair. So I was quite surprised when Steve called and told me it was a black-tie gala with cocktails, dinner, and dancing. According to Rob, the CotY Awards are the "Oscars of the remodeling industry." Rob and his wife are going, too, so we're happy to have an opportunity to spend some time with them when none of us is trying to work or give tours of the house at the same time. Apart from the weather forecast for Saturday - high 27, 70% chance of snow - I'm looking forward to it.

I'll make sure to bring my camera so I can document both the awards gala and our contractors dressed in tuxedos. And, of course, I'll let you know whether our house placed first in either category. Fingers crossed!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck and have fun! I will be keeping my fingers crossed. I'm also slightly worried about my brain--when I first saw this posting on your blog, for some reason, I was thinking it was February already, and I was annoyed with myself that I hadn't checked in with you about how things went, because I knew the event was at the end of January. Then I realized that it's still January. Can you tell I haven't gotten much sleep this week? By the time I left work last night, I'd already worked 46 hours this week . . .sigh. Anyway, I look foward to hearing about the awards!!

    ReplyDelete