March 26, 2009

About Facebook

A couple people have told me they found this blog through Facebook, so I thought I'd return the favor and direct people to my Facebook page from my blog. The catch is that I've never actually joined Facebook. Yeah, I know. I work on the web, I have a blog, and I know a lot of interesting people -- so you'd think I would have signed up long ago. But I already spend way too much time in front of my computer, and I know if I was on Facebook I would be tempted to spend even more playing online Scrabble with old high school friends and I'd never get any work done. Plus, I prefer to interact with people In Real Life or at least by email or phone.

Several people have tried to convince me to sign up -- resistance is futile -- but to no avail. My friend Ann finally got fed up and just created a page for me. We've been friends since 4th grade, so she knows me pretty well and we have a lot of mutual acquaintances -- including my DC-area gang that she has befriended during regular visits over the past 14 years (gosh, have I been here that long!?). So she put together a "fan" page for me, added some awful photos from our high school reunion, and invited all our mutual friends to become my "fans". The end result is that my friends (and sister) have done all the work for me to create a Facebook page and I didn't even have to sign up. Thanks, guys!

Ironically, since I still haven't joined Facebook, I can't see my own fan page, but I hear I already have a couple dozen "fans". If you are a member, you can't "friend" me, but you are welcome to join my elite group of Facebook "fans" -- and if you'd rather not, don't worry, I won't be offended. In fact, I won't even know...

1 comment:

  1. I'm a fan -- on and off FB! Good for you for resisting the FB pressure. :) It is totally a time sucker.

    ReplyDelete