March 4, 2009

Snow Day

We got hit with a big snowstorm Sunday night through Monday afternoon, which dumped 6-8 inches of snow on our house. Miraculously, my friend Ann was still able to fly out here from California in the midst of the blizzard -- we thought for sure her flight would be canceled, but she got in at 5:30 am as scheduled. Since the DC area was severely impaired by the snow (schools closed, unplowed roads, etc) Josh decided to work from home, so after Ann took a much-needed nap, we ventured out for a short drive and checked on the house:
We were not surprised that there was no one working on Monday. Even if they had been able to get there, most of the day would have been taken up with snow removal. At least they did a good job of covering everything up in anticipation of the snow.

Tuesday I got an email from my neighbor that they were putting the roof trusses up, so Ann and I stopped by when we were out running errands in the afternoon. While it was still pretty cold, it was a sunny day and the crew was hard at work up on the roof. You can really get a sense of what the house is going look like now.
The view from the south side of the house:
And from the north side:
Not much going on out back... But you can see where they relocated all our rose bushes and other landscaping in the far left corner.
Inside the house, there's now a roof over the living room:
And we discovered some interesting ancient runes on the basement wall:Ann took some good photos, too. If I can get her to send them to me, I'll add them here later. I've noticed that everyone on the crew makes an effort to move out of the way when I'm taking pictures, so most of the photos I post here make it look like no one's around. So, while they continued to politely move out of the shot every time I pulled out my camera, Ann was able to get some nice 'action' shots while I was chatting with Rob. I guess I need to be more discreet -- or more aggressive -- when I'm taking photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment