February 26, 2009

A New Perspective

I stopped by the house while I was out running errands this afternoon. It looks pretty much the same from the front as the last time I was there, but I took a picture anyway:
While I was there, my neighbor Francine drove up, so I intercepted her on her way into her house to ask her about some of the names I had dug up. I asked about John Poe, and she instantly remembered that his wife was named Glen. I told her that according to the records I saw, they were getting a divorce when they bought the house, and the house was subsequently sold by John and Patricia Poe, but she wasn't able to shed any light on that. She remembers Glen Poe living in the house with her mother and teenage son. She also remembers John Poe being a doctor, but didn't recall him being in the military.

So, here's my new theory: John Poe bought the house for his soon-to-be-ex-wife and their son. Even though he subsequently remarried, his name was still on the deed. I noticed that the deed for the sale by John & Patricia Poe to the Forsters in 1960 references the last will and testament of Glen M. Poe, so she must have passed away and ownership of the home reverted to John and his new wife. I'll have to do some more research to see if I can back any of this up...

Francine let me snap a few photos of the back of our house from her back yard. From here you can see the forms in place for the new foundation and some of the framing for our master bedroom on the second floor.
There is still a huge mound of dirt guarded by two bobcats taking up most of the back yard. I was glad to see all the tarps as we are supposed to get some wind and rain tomorrow.
Our friends' 3-year-old daughter is fascinated by cement trucks, so I've been trying to arrange a time when they can bring her by to watch one in action. Rob has been nice enough to alert me when the truck is expected to be on-site, but so far it hasn't happened at a convenient time. I hope it works out -- I'd love to see the dynamic between our little friend and the construction crew...

No comments:

Post a Comment