February 9, 2009

I Heart Josh

Since Valentine's Day is coming up, I thought I'd share this story with you, which is actually related to the renovation...

My old roommate, Marcy, and I used to bring each other cheesy souvenirs whenever we traveled anywhere. One such item Marcy gave me was a glow-in-the-dark keychain that said "I (Heart) JOSH" Since it was rather large, I never really used it for anything, but it remained in my desk drawer until a couple years ago when I needed a keychain for the spare key to our house. Much like those oversized restroom keys they hand out at coffee houses, I figured houseguests were unlikely to walk off with our house key if it was on such a large and potentially embarrassing keychain.

Well, the day we moved (a week ago), I got a call from Rob, our project supervisor, asking if I could leave a key for him somewhere so he could get into the house and start work first thing the next morning. Since I still needed my own key, my only option was to leave him the spare. I left it with a note apologizing for the keychain.

When I stopped by the house a few days later, I asked Rob if he needed my key as well. He said he'd already had duplicates made, and that he got some funny looks from the guy at the hardware store when he handed him the key, still on the I HEART JOSH keychain, and asked for 3 copies. We all had a good laugh over that.

I saw Rob at the house again on Friday, and he said his wife had asked him who the heck Josh was. Apparently, she had come across a pile of stuff he had emptied out of his pockets and saw the keychain. Hopefully she believed his explanation...

The funny thing is Rob and Josh have never met. I'm sure they will, eventually. Who knows? Maybe once Rob meets him, he'll decide he actually does "heart" Josh... ;-)

1 comment:

  1. How funny! I think it's lucky for Rob that he ended up with an "I Heart Josh" keychain rather than an "I Heart Naina" keychain. His wife might have been really upset!!! :)

    BTW, I passed by your house on a walk on Sunday afternoon, and it definitely looks like they're making progress!

    ReplyDelete