February 14, 2009

Linoleum Layers

Well, back to the more interesting, archaeological aspects of the project. In the kitchen, you can now see 4 layers of linoleum. Under our marble black & white diamond pattern is an avocado green layer, then a cream-colored layer with multicolor specks, and then a brown geometric pattern. (Who knows -- there could be a whole 7-layer dip of linoleum levels here!) The floor was pretty dirty, so I couldn't get a good photo. Next time I'm in the house I'll see if there's a broom handy.
There was also a huge box full of stuff they found in the crawl space under the front porch. Most of it was beer bottles and cans of malt liquor that may have been tossed there by the original builders, but there were also some toys and a couple old flower pots that seemed more recent. I'll try to take some photos, but first I'll need to clean them up a bit. I'll probably recycle most of the beer bottles, and just save the more interesting/well-preserved items. Fortunately, our crew seems to be a bit more careful with their trash. I noticed they were using our recycling bin for all their cans and bottles and even putting it out by the curb on trash day, and all the cigarette butts were collected in a glass jar on the front porch. If someone renovates the house again years from now, I'm hopeful that they won't find a bunch of trash circa 2009.

As for progress on the house, they were still working on the foundation out back:
And had already started framing the new walls for the main level and the floor of the second level. This used to be the bathroom and part of our bedroom, but the new walls indicate where our staircase will go (the windows will change):
And out front, the guys were hard at work stretching a fabric tube over a very long section of perforated plastic drainpipe for the waterproofing. (The idea being that the fabric would keep dirt from getting in and clogging the pipe.) I remarked that it was a shame Josh wasn't around to see this, as I'm sure he would have been highly amused and made some off-color comments. The crew admitted that they would be doing the same if I hadn't been there. Bummer!

1 comment:

  1. I walked by again yesterday, and they are definitely making good progress!

    ReplyDelete