May 21, 2009

Floors and More!

I have some catching up to do -- I haven't had a chance to update the blog for a couple days...
The stucco is nearly done. They just have to wait for that last window for the master bath and the back door to be installed so they can do the last few bits.
Even the fireplace has been re-stuccoed.Upstairs, we now have hardwood floors (oak) in the master bedroom.
And stacks of flooring are waiting to be installed in the front bedroom.Even without a window, it's now quite bright in the master bathroom with the two solatubes -- one in the main part of the room and one in the shower.
Yesterday, I was happy to see that John was back on the job, after spending some time working on a project at Steve B's house. He'll be installing the trim around the windows and doors and finishing up the stairs.
The floor guys had pulled out some of the original flooring in the family room so they could tooth in the new stuff. This room feels huge now -- it used to be the size of the little square of old flooring.
Since I have a cold, I didn't want to bring anything homemade over, so I picked up some cookies at Trader Joe's. Rob made a valiant effort to eat them all... Here he is doing his Cookie Monster impression.He also insisted on taking a photo of me, since I don't make many appearances in my own blog. I was really helping John measure the windows, but Rob handed me the pencil to make it look more authentic.
This morning, Josh and I had an 8 am meeting with Ian the tile guy and Rex from Architectural Ceramics to go over the tile layout in the bathrooms. Here are Rex, Ian, and Josh discussing some details for the shower.
And Rex and Ian working through the complicated tile scheme for the main-level bathroom.
Meanwhile, a big truck arrived to cart off our overflowing dumpster. Since our street is very narrow, it was challenging for him to back into the driveway.
A deluge of foul-smelling water poured out the back when he lifted the dumpster onto the back of the truck. Yet another drawback to all the rain we've had lately...
Once the dumpster was in place, it was nearly as challenging for him to get out of the driveway, especially since Rob told him to steer clear of our little dogwood tree. Rather than going to the dump, all the waste from our renovation is sorted and recycled by Con-Serv Industries.
Back inside, the floor guys had started integrating the new flooring with the old in the family room. The floors will eventually all be refinished and stained to match -- so hopefully it will be difficult to tell what's old and what's new.
The kitchen will have oak floors now, too.
The highlight of the morning was when the arched window for the master bathroom was delivered. Yay! I jokingly insisted that Rob drop everything and get to work installing it. He was just as excited to see the window as I was, and assured me it would be in by the end of the day.
The window goes in this lovely alcove over the tub.
Josh stopped by the house on his way home from work and said the window had indeed been installed, so I'll have to go over tomorrow and get a photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment