September 30, 2009

Bring Your Camera to Work Day

I apologize in advance for the poor quality of these photos, but since I did NOT bring my camera to work today, I had to take them with cheesy camera on my ancient cell phone. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am now commuting to the Discovery headquarters in Silver Spring, MD every day. It takes nearly an hour door-to-door on the Metro, but the Discovery building is just a block away from the Silver Spring station, so it's the easiest way for me to get there, and at least I can read on the train and not have to deal with the notoriously bad traffic. Here's the Discovery building as seen from the platform of the Silver Spring Metro station.
Today I got an email announcing that one of the Discovery TV personalities would be signing autographs in the atrium in the afternoon. When I went downstairs, there was already a long line.
But I stuck it out, and eventually made it to the front of the line.
Yep, that's me with Captain Johnathon Hillstrand of the Time Bandit from Deadliest Catch!
If you're not familiar with the show, Deadliest Catch is about Alaskan crab fishing, which sounds pretty dull, but is actually a very compelling show. In fact, it's the only show on Discovery that Josh and I watch on a regular basis. (Shh! Don't tell my boss!) I've also written several quizzes for the fan site. So, it was especially cool to get to meet Capt. Johnathon. He was a real trooper signing photos and taking pictures with everyone. He even let one woman wear his trademark leather jacket for a photo. Here's my signed photo -- I showed him my badge so he'd spell my name correctly...
I briefly considered bringing my Deadliest Catch poster down for him to sign, but I thought that would be too obnoxious, and it might end up getting mangled. I won it at orientation, and it's the only thing decorating my rather spartan cubicle at the moment (besides the giant cardboard dino-bot). We're supposed to move to another floor in a few weeks, so I figured I 'd wait until then to bring personal stuff from home to liven up my workspace.Well, that was the big excitement for today. Doesn't really have anything to do with the house, except that the SAI crew had been very interested to learn that I had written quizzes for Deadliest Catch, since several of them are big fans of the show. I couldn't wait to email Rob and Dane the photo of me with Capt. Johnathon. They were both duly impressed -- and I like to think a little jealous... ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Cool! I admit to being slightly addicted to Ice Road Truckers and Swords.

    ReplyDelete