July 2, 2009

Counter Fit

There was a flurry of activity at the house today. When I arrived this afternoon, I was happy to see that the stucco crew had finished the area around the arched window of the master bath. No more unsightly gray patches!
And they had also patched up the holes that Rob made searching for the electrical outlet.
Inside, the counter guys were adjusting the hole for the kitchen sink. Apparently they'd been working on it for most of the day.
In the main level bathroom, we now have a sink, a toilet, and a sconce. We briefly had a mirror, but Rob said it was chipped so he sent it back.
In the master bathroom, we have a shower door and a window that you can push open at the top to air out the shower. It's a steam shower, so you have to be able to seal it up when you are using the steam function -- so it can potentially get a bit musty if you leave the door closed all the time. Rather than having to leave the door ajar, we had this operable window installed.
We have sconces in the master bath now, too.
And a ceiling fan in the master bedroom. A vast improvement over the fluorescent light!
The medicine cabinets we bought at two different Pottery Barn outlets are slightly lighter than the vanity in the master bath, so my task for today was to clean them up (they were VERY dusty!) and stain them so they'd match a little better. Rob got me set up down in the basement and then I was on my own. I've never done anything like this before, but it was fun to have my own little project to work on. And although I never met him, my paternal grandfather was a carpenter who made furniture, so I must have at least a little bit of woodworking skill in my blood.
While I was working on the cabinets, the Steves were giving a tour of the house to a prospective client, who seemed very impressed. They introduced us and suggested he take advantage of the opportunity to ask questions of the homeowner. We talked for a few minutes and he told me he thought the house was beautiful. It was nice to get such positive feedback from a complete stranger.

Elsewhere, John had installed more of the iron balusters on the stairs.
And Rob had converted our 2-panel island into a 4-panel island, which looks much better. Yes, those are Rob's feet sticking out next to the island. He's not taking a nap, he's working on the kitchen sink. Once the counter guys had installed all the soapstone in the kitchen, Rob and John had to make some more adjustments to the sink to bring it flush with the bottom of the counter.
Here is a transcript of the conversation I overheard just before taking this photo:
John: Robbie, would you like to do the caulk and I can do the screwing?
Rob: Nah. I'm already down here.
Naturally, I had to see what they were up to... and the scene fit in quite nicely with the double entendres in the dialogue.
After much cursing -- some of which was jokingly directed at me for choosing this pain-in-the-ass-to-install sink -- our dynamic duo finally coaxed it into place. This is a Kohler Carrizo sink, which has a 33" two-level basin. The sink in our apartment kitchen is about half this size, and if you try to wash anything large, like a cutting board or cookie sheet, you end up getting water all over the place. I hate doing dishes, but I imagine it will be a slightly more pleasant endeavor with this sink.
Here's a view of the kitchen from the stairs. It's changed a lot in just one week! Check out the same photo from last Thursday.
Tomorrow is a holiday, but they are still planning to work a half day, so I may go over in the morning to see how things are going and finish up the medicine cabinets.

No comments:

Post a Comment