July 1, 2009

The Kitchen Sink

When I went over to the house yesterday afternoon, Rob and John were on the front porch cutting holes in the stucco by the front door. The stucco guys had accidentally stuccoed over the electrical box for our exterior outlet (for Christmas lights, electric yard tools, etc.). It took them a few tries, but they found it. Fortunately, the stucco crew has to come back anyway to finish the back of the house and the exterior of the master bathroom, so they can patch this up at the same time.
Inside, John had installed all the hand railings on the stairs.

We spent some time trying to figure out the best way to line up the metal balusters. They are supposed to alternate between the single and double twists, but the topography of the stairs makes it look a bit haphazard. John taped some in place and suggested Josh and I come back in the evening and take a look.Ian's crew had grouted the main level bathroom with white grout. I think we made the right decision on that -- the gray would have made it look too busy and detracted from the cool deco tile. (I know the yellow paint color looks different in these photos, but the one below is the closest to the actual color.)Upstairs, the master bedroom walls and built-ins have been painted. Like the classy fluorescent light fixture? That's just temporary. We'll eventually have a ceiling fan with an integrated light. The electricians were at the house installing all the electrical outlets, switches, ceiling fans, and light fixtures. Here's the cool little light I picked out for the entryway in the master bedroom.
The ceiling fan in the front bedroom downstairs.Here is the new light in the living room. We didn't have an overhead light in there before, so it was a bit dark. The glass matches a Tiffany-style table lamp that will go in this room.Here's what it looks like switched on.

I don't think I've taken a photo of these yet. They installed these teeny little radiators in the basement. They're about a foot tall.The pivoting wall mirror I ordered for the small upstairs bathroom had arrived, so I grabbed a part of the towel bar that goes in the same bathroom to see if the brackets matched. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it matches exactly because it was made by the same company! We had bought the towel bar at Restoration Hardware several years ago, and I ordered the mirror online from a company that sells all sorts of home furnishings, so I wasn't expecting them to be from the same manufacturer.
We now have a wood panel on the back of the kitchen island. This isn't quite how I was expecting it to look -- I thought it would have 3 panels, not 2 -- but it will have a countertop over it and chairs in front of it, so I'm sure I can live with it.
Rob and John were trying to install the kitchen sink, but the cabinet turned out to be an inch smaller than the sink, so they had to trim the edges off to make it fit. I'm not sure how that happened, since I'm pretty sure I provided the specs for the sink when we ordered the cabinets.
Fortunately, after much trimming and tweaking, they were able to fit the sink in the cabinet. We were all extremely relieved -- especially since the countertop is going to be installed tomorrow.
Lots of other stuff will be happening tomorrow as well. I think the appliances will be delivered, and the electricians will be back to finish installing the lights. I'm excited to see the kitchen come together.

No comments:

Post a Comment