June 11, 2009

Kitchen Cabinets

I was eager to see how the kitchen cabinets looked, so I went over to the house this afternoon and was surprised to see that most of them had already been installed. That's because Steve W brought his son, Ben, over to help John put them in. They obviously make a good team.
The cabinets look rather bland right now, but once they've been accessorized with door hardware, countertops, and a tile backsplash, I think it will look quite nice. This is the vanity for the upstairs bathroom.
And here is part of the vanity for the master bath. There are two boxes like this one and another with a stack of drawers that goes between them.
All the doors and drawers are sitting in the office.
And all the boxes they came in have practically filled the front bedroom from floor to ceiling. That's a lot of cardboard to recycle!
While John and Ben worked on installing the cabinets, Steve and Rob and I experimented with wood stains to try and find one that best matched our old doors. I think it's sort of like trying to find a hair dye to match your natural color. It's never going to be an exact match. We also have to decide what color to stain the floors, the new doors, and the windows. Should they all be the same color? Should they be three different colors? Should the windows match the doors or the floors? There are so many options! Rob asked me to give him our decision tomorrow, so I have a lot of ruminating to do...
Meanwhile, Ian and his crew were grouting up a storm. I didn't get a good look at the master bath, but it looked like they were grouting the inside of the shower. They also grouted the shower in the other bathroom upstairs. The blue glass tile looks great with the white grout.
I think I managed to resolve all the remaining door hardware issues this evening, so that's one more decision to check off the list. Of course, just when I think we've finally made all the decisions that need to be made, Rob springs something new on me. We'll see what tomorrow brings...

No comments:

Post a Comment