April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day!

In observance of Earth Day, I wore these wacky socks that Ann gave me for my birthday. In addition to promoting Peace, Love, and Recycling, they are made of bamboo and are surprisingly soft and comfy.
I also baked some brownies for the crew, so I stopped by this afternoon to drop them off. It was pretty quiet at the house -- I found John in the front bedroom sealing up the old A/C register in the corner. I walked in to say hello, and suddenly a huge gloved hand popped up through the hole in the floor and waved, and I heard Rob's voice saying "Hi!" He was down in the crawl space stapling up the last of the duct insulation over the radiant heating system. I let them finish what they were doing and went off in search of one of Sally Fretwell's paint sticks that we had inadvertently left behind last night. I found it in one of the upstairs bedrooms. In between rain showers, I went around to the back of the house to see what progress the stucco guys had made. Looks like they are almost done prepping the walls with felt and mesh.
Back inside, I noticed that they had finished installing most of the fireproof insulation.
So now we have 3 kinds of insulation in the house -- the structural insulated sheathing on the exterior walls, the duct insulation in the floors, and this stuff in the north interior walls. The 4th kind, a soy-based spray foam, will be installed in the remaining areas next week.

Rob took a short break from working in the cramped crawlspace to give me an update on what was going on around the house (and eat about half a dozen brownies!). The HVAC guys had come back to put a second layer of sealant on the ducts, the insulation company will start installing the spray foam on Monday, and the roofers should be getting started around the end of next week. In the meantime, he and John are just finishing up all the details inside the house. He also told me that Paul had been let go, so we won't be seeing him anymore. Rob was confident that he and John could handle the rest of the job on their own. I gave Rob a quick recap of what had transpired the night before, and showed him the photo of the Colwells with Josh to prove that they really were there. I wonder if we'll encounter any more celebrities this week...

No comments:

Post a Comment